Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Where is the "housework fairy".....

I hate housework.  I don't think there is a single person on EARTH who enjoys the constant upkeep it takes to make sure your house is clean, sanitary and organized;  a necessary evil at best, at worst it's just evil!

I grew up not really understanding what housework was, because I don't remember Mom doing much!  I remember a couple of times when my sisters stripped the fir flooring of the house with turpentine!  I remember trying to keep my stuff contained in my room - without much luck, I may add!  I remember sweeping the kitchen floor before dinner, doing dishes every night, and "bucket brigades" when Mom used a ringer washer to do laundry and hung the clothes to dry on a rack over the stove in winter... but I really don't remember housework as anything I noticed happening.  It was a terrible shock (really!) when I moved away from home and realize the oven actually has to be cleaned once in a while, that toilets need scrubbing every day, that sheets get changed and laundry gets done more than once a week!

You can add more to that now.  Now that I am on my own and there is no one else making messes I have only my own "organized chaos" to deal with.  At the moment it is TOTAL chaos!  My little "Daisy Mae" chihuahua has given me 5 delightful puppies!  I adore them, play with them, feed them, clean them and keep their beds clean and piddle free!  But I am up most nights three or four times to quiet "Daisy" when she has to have a drink, or some food, or feed them, or go outside to pee or poop in the middle of the night so she doesn't make messes in the house...  so with Christmas on the way, and my attempting to whittle down my household goods while using up my time with puppies (and blogs... lol...) I am finding that the Chaos is a bit overwhelming.

And now my dear little "Penny" Shih Tzu has given me 6 totally sweet puppies as well....   As of today I have a three year old dog, a 2 and a half year old dog, a one year old dog, five "almost one month old" pups and six "almost one week old" pups... and two cats... and a huge Christmas tree in the living room....  and between you and me....

I WANT TO KNOW WHERE THE DAMN HOUSEWORK FAIRY IS AND WHAT DO I HAVE TO BRIBE HER WITH??????????

I have piles of newspaper ready to use in the playpen; mountains of puppy laundry that gets constantly used, washed, stacked and used again;  I still manage to keep myself and my uniform clean for work, but mealtime is getting to be on the fly;  more than likely I eat at work, or grab some yogurt and fresh vegies, washing everything down with lots of hot tea... But every day the floors need to be disinfected!  The pens get wiped down with alcohol soaked cloths to clean them, the couches are looking worse for wear (and desperately needing another washing), and the area rug has suffered the final insult and been rolled up for the trash.  And I still need to scrub the toilets, clean the dishes, do the regular laundry, change the sheets, sweep the floors, and stay on top of the regular chores that make up housework.

None of that matters really, though.  In just a few short weeks my little puppies will go to their "forever families" with a piece of my heart in each one.  They will be clean, cared for, well fed, cuddled constantly and played with before then.  They will know that humans are the source of all good things.  They will have manners, know how to eat their dinners, enjoy the "rough and tumble" of playing with toys, and will make someone else very happy.  And I know I will cry like a baby when they go.  For now I listen to their tiny voices and savour each and every moment.  If the dishes go a little longer in the sink or the laundry pile sits an extra day I don't really worry.

So, who wants to come and play with a basket full of puppies?  It will certainly be heartwarming, and it will give me immeasurable pleasure to share them while I have them...In the meantime, if housework is a necessary evil I guess I'll be evil for a while.  And will someone PLEASE give that housework fairy my address?

No comments:

Post a Comment